- 4 medium potatoes, washed
- 2 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp mild curry powder
- 1-2 medium tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 jalapenos sliced (seeds out/in)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
- ½ inch ginger root chopped into fine pieces or paste
- ½ tsp optional cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp bacon powder or fresh bacon pieces
- 1 bell pepper – chopped
- Boil potatoes, peel and dice them into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick pan and crackle optional cumin seeds.
- Add onions, and optional garlic, ginger and jalapenos. Stir until onion becomes translucent.
- Add turmeric, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, optional bell pepper, and boiled and cut potatoes. Mix well and then add vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil stirring in between.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are cooked and the potatoes are mashed to the desired level. Stir to make sure potatoes don’t stick to the bottom.
- Switch off heat, add the cilantro, optional bacon pieces and salt.
Mix well and serve hot as a side dish with rice or bread.