Wellness Drink #8: Hot turmeric milk
This is an alternative version of turmeric and ginger tea (Drink #11 below) with additional spices and milk. This has all the benefits of ginger turmeric tea and more and is a common drink grandmothers and mothers make in India as a remedy for flu and cold symptoms.
- ½ – 2 teaspoon turmeric powder or ½ inch – 2-inch-long fresh turmeric root, sliced
- ½-1inch fresh ginger, grated or thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (or 2-3 cardamom pods crushed)
- 1 brown sugar (or as much to sweeten to your taste)
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper or pepper powder
- 1 pinch of ground cloves (or 2-3 crushed cloves – optional)
- 1-2 cups of milk of your choice (regular, coconut or almond)
- Mix turmeric, cardamom, black pepper and cloves in a bowl.
- Boil 1-2 cups of milk and add the turmeric mixture and mix well. Careful not to boil over.
- Strain out any lumps if need be. Let it cool for a couple of minutes enjoy as is or add sugar and enjoy warm.